Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Momentarily Trapped in LRT ...


LRT - Light Rail Transit, equivalent to London's Underground

It was like any usual day. Arrived at the Kelana Jaya train station, when the train arrived, I got on it, got a seat and read my book, "The Heavenly Man". It was a really good time reading since the journey down to Ampang Park station (the stations closest to my office) in Kuala Lumpur.

As we were arriving Dang Wangi station (4 stations from Ampang Park) I heard a loud bang. It was as if something hit the side of the train. All of a sudden the train stopped and the lights in the train went off. The train was in darkness. The Dang Wangi station was situated underground so we were already in the tunnel but not yet at the station. We were basically stuck!

Initially, I thought it would be one of those problems where it would be ok in awhile. After 5 minutes, I was starting to get restless. The other passengers were too. Then a voice over the PA system announced that there were problem with the power grids and would take awhile. So I got back to my book and attempted to finish the last 2 lines of the chapter. The train was still not moving after i finish that chapter. As I was putting my book away, the same voice came on to the PA again. This time we were told that there were some problems and we needed to get off the train and walk to the station through the tunnel! We were told to disembark the train slowly and orderly through the front door.

We had to wait for awhile before anyone got off the train. It was pretty pack and I was at the back carriage. Then I heard a lady saying "Can somebody use the intercom and tell the guy that the door is not open". The lady sounded aggitated. She said another thing which got me annoyed. She said "Come on Malaysians we don't want to be stuck do we?" The tone in her voice was the disappointment for Malaysians....and that irked me a whole lot (I will discuss this issue in my next blog). I was so tempted to yell back "Can we exercise some patience please! and DO NOT generalise on nationality please!". From the accent, I was pretty sure the lady was Malaysian. Very very shortly after she said that, the line moved....If I were her I would be embarrass.

Anyway, when i got to the door of the train, I stepped down and found myself walking through the tunnel fo Dang Wangi station. It really felt as though I was Slyvester Stylone in Daylight. Although that movie was about being stuck in a tunnel with highway, it felt the same. We were in enclosed area. So i made my way by the tracks to the station about 30-50 metres away.

I got there and decided to see when the next train would arrive. The operators didn't know. I didn't want to take the chance so i went out of the station and saw a Metrobus coming by. I thought to myself, I haven't been on this bus since ages ago! It brought back nostalgic memories of the past when I used to take the bus to college, KL or other places.

I got to the bus stop near my office but I was already late for work but my leader already knew about it through my phone call to him. By the time i got to office, I was already drenched in sweat. It was a pretty interesting day indeed.

I hope that tomorrow would not be the same!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooooo... what an adventure! makes life a little more interesting.. =)